College of Heralds
I Would Like to Join/Help the Heralds
By checking out this page of the Herald's website, you are on your way ...
The best way to help out is to start showing up at meetings, and volunteering. There is no
requirement that a person who works with the heralds be a "Rostered Herald".
Here are ways you can start:
- At the next Kingdom, Principality, or local event, find out if there's a herald's meeting
at the event. If there is, show up. At Kingdom and Principality events the meeting is
usually held on Saturday morning, and sometimes again on Sunday morning, to help
plan activities for the day, and to sign up the people who want to help.
The "Signup Sheet" usually has a place where you can note that you wish to be trained.
The usual jobs the heralds need people the most for are:
- Voice: Duty Shouts (going around the site and making announcements at scheduled intervals)
- Voice: Field Heralds (announcing fights on the field)
- Consultation Table (working with people who want to register name/arms and want
to have some help ...)
Sometimes it is possible to sign up to help with Court, but normally the people tapped to
to court are done "off-line" as it were. If you are interested in helping with court,
talk to the Banner Herald, or the herald-in-charge at the event.
IMPORTANT NOTE: You do not have to become an expert in all of the areas above. Find
the area(s) that interest you, and try working with the heralds in that area. Not all heralds
are experts in all parts of what the College does, don't let us overwhelm you!
- At your local group meeting (if you attend these), find out who the herald is, and ask if
they can help train you.
- If you live in or near the central Bay Area in California, the monthly herald's
meetings are currently there, and you can attend those -- these meetings concentrate
on peoples name and armory registrations, and this is a great way to learn
how to do heraldic "research" (or what is sometimes called "Book Heraldry").
To find out when/where these meetings are, if you have The Page or
access to one, the information is there, you can visit the Meetings
page of this website, or you can go to the Contact
page of this website, and ask Vesper or Matins.
- You might want to ask about the weekly Brachet herald meetings -- these get into heraldic
research as well as the monthly College meetings, checking out armory registrations from
- If you decide you want to put more effort into being a herald, you should check out the
West Kingdom Herald's Handbook which is available from this website at:
Be A Herald Page
Main Herald's Page