Job Description -- The Greencloak Herald
Home Page >
Information for Heralds >
Senior Staff Job Descriptions >
The Purpose of the Greencloak Herald is twofold: To provide heraldic support
for the Kingdom Minister of the Lists and Marshals in the running of Kingdom-Level
tournaments (field or tournament heralds), and to provide heraldic support
to the Autocrats of Kingdom-Level events in the announcement of information
(duty heralds/ town criers). While the above is the primary set of responsibilities,
Greencloak Herald acts as a consultant at all other levels of tourneys and
events, assuring that all types of events in the Kingdom are supported and
trained at a consistent level.
At Crown Tournaments, do the following:
- Create a list of the heralds attending the event, especially those willing
to work as field or duty heralds. Also, ascertain which heralds need training.
- Create a schedule of heralds for the Tournament, assigned to the fields determined
to be necessary by the Minister of the Lists, including Heralds-in-Charge of
the fields and Heralds-in-Training assigned to them
- Make sure that the heralds servicing the lists have the necessary tools to
do their job (baldrics and staves with the colors identifying each field, pens,
litany cards, etc.).
- Make sure that all fields, prior to the beginning of each round, have a trained
herald or heralds present to provide voice service for the Lists and the Marshallate.
- During the Tournament, monitor the heralds on the field to ensure they are
able to provide consistently useful service (i.e., sufficiently loud announcements
to warn upcoming fighters of their field assignments, coordinated announcements
with the other heralds servicing the overall field, knowledge of the litany
so as to provide consistent and meaningful ceremony to each fight, etc.). This
includes having alternate heralds ready to replace the assigned heralds in
case of emergency or incipient voice problems.
- Toward the end of the Tournament, get a list of the semi-finalist competitors
and provide a blazon of the arms of their arms, to provide the herald in charge
of the final rounds for use in the finals introductions.
- At the end of the tournament, recover and store the equipment used by the field
heralds specific to the lists.
At ALL Kingdom-Level events, do the following:
- In the absence of the Vesper Herald, run the morning heralds' meeting. This
meeting is usually a gathering point to collect a list of the heralds at the
event, ascertaining which duties they are willing to perform.
- Create a list of duty or announcement heralds available for the needs of the
Royalty, autocrat, etc.
- Make sure that all regalia needed for the event is available.
- Collect from the Royalty, Kingdom Seneschal, and autocrat the announcements
that need to be given at the initial daily (usually 8am) shout.
- Assure that the morning shout goes out at approximately 8am or whenever it
has been determined that it is to be performed.
The Greencloak Herald is responsible for all Field and Duty Heraldry in the
Kingdom, whether or not it is at a Kingdom event. At Principality events, work
with the Principality Herald to ensure their needs are being met, both in service
and in training. If they or their subordinates need the latter, work with them
to build a training program. (This can be done in coordination with the Kingdom's
needs, at Kingdom Collegia or at impromptu sessions at events.) If at a local
event, work with the local heralds or with the autocrat if there isn't a local
herald to ensure that field and duty heraldry are being performed in such a
way as to provide a consistently high standard of service throughout the Kingdom.
Senior Staff Heraldic Job Descriptions
Main Herald's Web Page