Job Description -- The Brachet Herald
Home Page >
Information for Heralds >
Senior Staff Job Descriptions >
- Is responsible for the performance of the West Kingdom duties with respect
to commentary on submissions from other Kingdoms and other matters under
discussion by the College of Arms.
- Is responsible for the preparation of the West Kingdom Letter of Comment
on submissions from other Kingdoms each month. This Letter must be prepared
so as to arrive in Lord Laurel's hands in a timely manner. The LoC must,
if at all possible, include comments on all the Letters of Intent issued,
and if an LoI is not received, efforts must be made to obtain a copy. Thorough
research on each device for conflict, whenever possible by multiple researchers,
is a necessary part of the Western LoC. In addition, it should cover as
much name and other research as possible.
- Is responsible for the regular conflict research meetings. The primary
purpose of these meetings is to do conflict research on the names and devices
being submitted from other Kingdoms. These meetings should be scheduled
at regular intervals and at fixed locations, so that the regular workers
can plan their lives and those who can show up occasionally can find the
meeting. If Brachet cannot be available to conduct a given meeting, a substitute
must be appointed to conduct that meeting.
- Should be knowledgeable in the following areas: the art and science of
heraldry, both as regards period practice and as regards SCA usage; the
design of heraldic insigniae; period naming practices and the selection
of SCA names; the Rules for Submission and the current practices of the
College of Arms.
- May be called upon by Vesper to perform other functions related to book
heraldry and conflict research, in conjunction with Latimer.
- Works with Vesper to train other heralds in research skills and in the
specialized knowledge needed for conflict research.
- At the present time, Brachet is responsible for the cost of copying and
mailing comments to the College of Arms.
- May, with the approval of Vesper, designate a deputy
to assist in these tasks.
Senior Staff Heraldic Job Descriptions
Main Herald's Web Page